FREE TAX PREPARATION AND FILING
Get an IRS Certified Volunteer Tax Preparer to help you file your taxes!
If your household income was less than $60,000 in 2018, you may be eligible to file your taxes for free and keep more of what you earned with valuable tax credits.
What To Do
- File your own taxes at MyFreeTaxes.com
- Or, schedule an appointment at a free tax preparation site by calling 2-1-1 (1-866-892-9211) and ask to schedule your tax appointment.
If you worked during 2018, and your household earned income was less than $60,000, you may be eligible to receive the Federal and South Carolina Earned Income Tax Credits (EITC) of up to $6,000.
What to Bring
- Picture Identification
- Social Security Card or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) Letter for all individuals listed on the return
- W-2's, 1099s, and all other tax-related documents for 2018
- Form 1095-A, B, or C, Health Insurance Coverage Statement
- All 1098 E&T forms for educational expenses
- Childcare provider name, address, phone number, and Tax ID Number
- Voided check if using direct deposit for refund
- Copy of your 2017 income tax return
- For joint returns, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
How To Qualify for EITC (Earned Income Tax Credit)
- Be a U.S. citizen or resident alien for all of 2018
- Have a social security number valid for employment
- Have earned income during 2018
- Cannot use "Married Filing Separately" filing status
- Cannot be claimed as a qualifying child
- Cannot file Form 2555 or 2555-EZ (relating to foreign earned income)
Where To Go
Free tax appointments are held at Easley Hampton Memorial Library (appointments and walk-ins accepted), Central/Clemson Library (appointment required), Pickens Village Branch Library (appointment required), Liberty Sarlin Branch Library (appointment required), and the Goodwill Job Connection in Easley (appointment required). Days and hours vary by site. Download the flyer for a complete list of locations, addresses, and operating hours. Call 2-1-1 (1-866-892-9211) to schedule your appointment at the site most convenient for you.
VITA Volunteers Are Superheroes!
VITA Volunteers are Superheroes to those they serve. This year, 58 community volunteers completed the IRS certification training and prepared 1,546 tax returns for individuals and families whose average income was $19,935.