Free File Volunteers are Superheroes to those they serve. In a typical tax season, about 60 community volunteers complete IRS certification training and prepare over 1,500 tax returns for individuals and families with an average income of approximately $20,666.
Free File could not happen without an amazing team of volunteers. Volunteer opportunities are:
- Greeter: Welcoming taxpayers and overseeing the sign-in process. Conducting the initial screening of taxpayers.
- Tax Preparer: Meeting with the taxpayer to gather information, reviewing documentation, and preparing tax returns.
- Site Coordinator: Managing the Free File site and volunteers. Providing support, answering questions, and providing quality review of tax returns.
- Interpreter: Assist tax payers who have limited English proficiency. We are currently seeking Spanish interpreters.
Learn More at an Information Session
Join us Thursday, November 10, 9:00-9:45 a.m. for a virtual information session to learn more about becoming a Free File Volunteer!
Register here. Once you register, information on how to join this Zoom session will be sent to you in an email.
Volunteer Training for the 2022 Tax Season Begins Soon
Learn how to pass the online certification exam in this multi-part training. All sessions are held at the United Way of Pickens County office: 201 S. 5th Street, Easley, SC 29640.
- Session 1: Wednesday, 11/16, 1:00-2:30 p.m. | Volunteer Standard of Conduct and Quality Review
- Session 2: Thursday, 11/17, 1:00-2:30 p.m. | Basic Tax Preparation
- Session 3: Wednesday, 12/7, 1:00-2:30 p.m. | Advanced Tax Preparation Part 1
- Session 4: Thursday, 12/8, 1:00-2:30 p.m. | Advanced Tax Preparation Part 2
- Study Hall: Friday, 12/9, 1:00-2:30 p.m. | Practice Test Questions
Apply Today to Become a Free File Volunteer
Become a Free File Volunteer- apply today! Click here for the application.
Frequently Asked Questions
Learn more by visiting the FAQ Page
IRS Publication 4491 is the textbook for the training.
IRS Publication 4012 is the Volunteer Resource guide.
Find more information on the United Way of Pickens County Free File program here.
For more information, contact Nicole Zeiset, 864-850-7094 x131.